Sunday, May 20, 2007

Singing in the Rain

For the last three weeks I've been glad to have extra company around my flat. I have been hosting a student teacher during her pre-internship at the school. Tasia and her mom, Venee, are from Salmon Arm. They have brought many laughs and new friendship to my life, and as my good friend Deb notes in a recent post, that's the stuff of life! Yesterday I took them out to Sai Kung, one of my favorite fishing villages in the Hong Kong area. From the village you can go on a hike out to a couple quiet and scenic beaches.

The weatherman has been saying it's going to rain like crazy for the last two weeks, and he has been consistently wrong. Why should he be right on a pleasant Saturday? He was wrong for the first half of the day, and we enjoyed a nice hike over a couple hills, past beach one, and enjoyed fresh squid and rice at beach two. And then he was right, and it poured...and it poured...and it poured. We had pruny skin and pockets full of water. It was glorious! There is something fresh, fun, and freeing about running in the rain. Ha ha! Anyway, it was a memorable day, and it was topped off by a monstrous meal at my favorite restaurant- Habibi! Mmmm...Egyptian. Here's Tasia and Venee...thanks for the good times, ladies!




No comments: