Friday, August 31, 2007

First Two Days

It was great to be back in teaching mode this week. There were a few times when I sat back and just smiled- I love what I do. I have a sweet bunch of kids. This year I have students from HK, Indonesia, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Japan, Malaysia, and Canada. I have only 17 in my class so far, and I'm enjoying that. I sense an easier move towards a tighter community. It's fun to observe new students and the dynamics that emerge. Already it is easy to see significant differences from last year's group. For one, the girls outnumber the boys 2 to 1. It will be interesting to see how things unfold.

I'm certain that they will often make me laugh, anyway. Today they started guessing my age. "Well, my parents aren't that old, and they're about 43. You must be 38!" Yikes! I got a good chuckle from that one...the same girl who asked me why my armpits were so sweaty yesterday. Haaaa. People who know me well will appreciate that. She's not the first person who's wondered...

The hardest part of the first two days was seeing my old kids in new classrooms. It kind of caught me off guard- I guess I didn't realize just how attached I was, and apparently still am. At the same time, it's fun to see them in a new role at school, and working with a new teacher. They're in good hands, I'll just miss them.

No comments: