Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Field Trip Day

Today was Field Trip Day. In Mandarin class we went out for lunch to a local Chinese restaurant and filled ourselves on spicy tofu, ginger beef and wonton soup. Immediately following the Chinese feast, the Grade 10s and myself drove to the Legislative Building to sit in on question period, take a tour of the building and visit with our Regina Rosemont MLA, the Honourable Joanne Crofford. She is a fantastic lady and kindly introduced our class to the Assembly during the session. She commented on Western being a welcomed bright spot in our community as well as stating our "students seek a high standard for their life decisions"- or something to that effect, although it sounded better when she said it...anyway, it made me think, hey, that's a pretty neat thing to recognize in our kids. I have now taken both Gr. 4's and Gr. 10's to the Leg., and I'd have to say in terms of management, they work at about the same level...ha ha. Just kidding, they were good reps for our school.
So here it is just about 1am again, and I'm rounding up on the prep for tomorrow. I must say I am feeling somewhat lethargic about things related to teaching these days...I am ready for Easter! Oh dear. Things are lighter for me now that the hoops season is over, so I can't complain...and I really shouldn't. It's too easy to whine...oops, that's whining too, isn't it? You'd think I'd take the advice/orders I give my 9/10's everyday- "do not whine at me- I am not your Mother and you are not 5 years old!"
On a positive note, lately I have realized I am not socially inept, as I had feared I was becoming during the last few months in the height of teaching and coaching busyness. Birthday celebrations (Happy Birthday Crystal!!!! You're my Hero, the Funniest Distraction, and the Queen of Peppers), India buffets, plenty of March Madness, soccer, basketball, badminton, working out at the gym, a monster long chat to China...all these I have enjoyed in the past week. Now, I really must head for bed. It's better for all that way!

No comments: