Friday, June 01, 2007

Heart Change

I wish it didn't have to take a mess-up to bring me to my knees before God, but it usually does. I'm frustrated with that, but at the same time, I'm glad for the moments that remind me of my brokenness.

I messed up yesterday. I mess up a lot, but yesterday I actually felt it. Prick. A guilty conscience, an awareness of something...not right, not pure. And I'm glad it happened because it helped me see my heart more clearly. It's dirty. It's easily calloused to sin. And I am blind to the dirt. But I saw it yesterday, and I loved God's love in a more real way than I have in awhile, and I saw his desire to change me into someone with a heart like his Son.

"Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean. Your filth will be washed away, and you will no longer worship idols. And I will give you a new heart with new and right desires, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony heart of sin and give you a new, obedient heart. "
-Ezekiel 36:25-26

2 comments:

Steve said...

I resemble that post!

The heart is the right place to look. I end almost every day by putting my hand on my kids chest and giving them a "heart-check." It goes something like this: Are you mad anybody right now? Anybody you need to forgive? Anything you want God to forgive you for? Are you afraid/worried about something right now?

It's so much easier to filter behavior than it is to "guard the heart."

Miss McMillan said...

Those are some pretty good questions to ask before bed. Thanks, brother.