Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Rookie Camp Director

Last week I tried my hand at the role of "camp director". I had it easy because another teacher had already planned out the three days, essentially down to the minute (plus we had a great staff team!). It was a great experience for me. It kind of freaked me out, officially being responsible for 80 kids. Aside from some scratched up knees and an aching stomach here and there, we managed to get all the kids back to school safely. Relief!

The kids looooove going to camp. It is a rare chance for them to escape the concrete world we live in here. The camp is in a beautiful spot in a "country park". There are banana trees and pineapple trees. Lush green covered hills and small mountains, and quiet waters. The best part is the silence of the place. It was refreshing to leave behind the crashing of the city for a couple days.

However, it was also an exhausting three days. I had a cabin of 18 girls. They are most concerned about passing notes, playing Truth or Dare, giggling, and playing flashlight tag. I love the chance that being camp counselor gives to breathe love and affirmation into these sweet (and silly) girls. I remember how well my Clearview counselors did that for me many years ago.

I think my two favorite moments were the campfire, and the last chapel we had together with the kids. It was great fun to rock out to the Pigolo, the Chicky Chicky (EPIC...now China has the Chicky Chicky, I feel confident that I have now left a legacy), and the Funky Chicken. Seriously, some of my most enthralling moments in life have come during a crazy hyper screaming of the Chicky Chicky (I cite India 2001 as one example). While the campfire was high octane fun, the last worship time with the kids was very special. Spirit-filled. It was sweet to feel God's presence. Experiencing that with the kids you teach/have taught is awesome.

So I survived, maybe even more than that.

The theme of my days in the past month is to "give myself away". This stems from one of my favorite Robbie Seay songs- "Rise".
"To hear the call is to give your love away....to give your life away
Rise, rise...people of love, rise. Give yourself away."
It has really called me to offer everything I can to whomever I am with, wherever I am. I fail, that's for certain. I'm lazy, that's often true. But this thought is really pushing me, and inspiring to extend myself. In the weary moments of camp, I felt that nudge to give whatever I could. If you are in need of similar encouragement, try downloading the song from itunes, and then while you are at it, download my big brother's "My Dash" podcast series. His sermon entitled "Whatever is Not Given is Lost" is excellent and seemed to be the perfect match for thoughts on "giving yourself away".

Sorry for the length...I haven't even recapped my weekend with ROGER AND PETE! Maybe tomorrow. Pics are up on the flickr site!

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me." ~Erma Bombeck

No comments: