Friday, May 09, 2008

Super-Sized Seduction

We have some big city seduction going on in Hong Kong. It's sad. As I was on my way out of the MTR (subway) station today, I was seduced by the scenes splattered all over the walls going up the escalator. Basically as close to naked as you can get, save for a string bikini (for sale at H&M). The size of the image, I think, would about cover one of our double-decker buses. On the other side of the escalator, there's a man flanked by a woman on each side. And you know the looks on their faces. Seduction is in the station.

But H&M's got nothin' next to the Calvin Klein folks, who claimed the title for Asia's largest billboard. With an image that could be viewed from the other side of the harbor, as well as from the Peak view on the Island, CK plastered Djimon Hounsou in his tighty whities for all of HK to see. Thanks, CK. I'm sure you could have picked up the image using Google Earth! It encompassed 27 stories on the Ritz-Carlton Hotel. Talk about MASS media. I wish I could hide these images from my ten-year-old students' eyes. It's frightening, and overwhelming to me as an Aunty, and educator. How are we helping our kids make sense of the load of sexually driven messages that flood our world?

No comments: