Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Encountering exceptional people

I've met some exceptional people in my lifetime. Last night I added another pair of exceptional people to my list. They are from a group of people on earth that are among the most under appreciated exceptional people in the world, in my opinion...foster families. Foster families amaze me so much.
We went to an older couple's home- they were likely in their late sixties I'm guessing. They have had over 70 different children into their home in the past twenty five years. 70 kids! People like this blow me away. They open their homes to children not their own, children coming from broken, transient, abusive homes, children suffering from life diseases like FAS, children who so desperately need hope and stability and love. It's a complete life offering; a living sacrifice 24/7! My parents have walked a similar path, and though our family hasn't had 70 kids, we can identify with some of the heartthrobs that foster families experience as parents come in and out of lives and innocent kids get stuck in the middle. I have nothing but admiration for the people that I met last night, and for others who make the same commitment to being an anchor of love for children. People who love like that move me to give more of myself to others and to be less consumed by my selfishness. They are servants of the kingdom.

No comments: