Friday, February 03, 2006

I would like to make an annoucement!


I'm moving! In August of 2006, you will find me amongst the 7,000,000 strong in Hong Kong, China!
Bring on a metropolis of the masses...the intense rush of the throngs of humans mapping their way through what many refer to as the "New York" of Asia!

I have accepted a Grade 3 teaching position at the Christian Alliance International School (CAIS). After a rather tiring decision-making month, I am happy to say that I am joining a great crew of servant teachers in Hong Kong. CAIS is a unique place- the great majority of staff members hail from Canada, and of that number, many come from Saskatchewan. In fact, the school is registered under Saskatchewan Learning and uses the Saskatchewan curriculum!!! Neat, hey?! The majority of the students at the school are Chinese, many of them Chinese Canadians, whose parents have relocated to Hong Kong. The students come from a very diverse range of faith backgrounds, and the school is eager to be a tool for sharing the Gospel. I am quite excited about joining in this effort! I am also thrilled to be a Grade 3 teacher!!! Oh, that will be fun!
Here is a picture of my school- I actually visited CAIS when I was in Hong Kong last year, interestingly enough. The school is located in Kowloon, which is on the mainland China side of Hong Kong.

So, that is the main news story from me today! I'm going to include Lonely Planet's introduction to Hong Kong... (oh, and yes, I'm starting my tourism campaign for Hong Kong...start planning your visit now!!! :)

Hong Kong has the big city specials like smog, odour, 14 million elbows and an insane love of clatter. But it's also efficient, hushed and peaceful: the transport network is excellent, the shopping centres are sublime, and the temples and quiet corners of parks are contemplative oases.

The best thing about being in Hong Kong is getting flummoxed and fired by the confluences and contradictions of a Chinese city with multi-Asian and Western elements. It's about savouring new tastes, weaving through a human gridlock and humming some dumb Cantopop tune while slurping your noodles.

3 comments:

Tim and/or Wyatt said...

congrats harm - good to hear.
We love you,
the yk 3 in CA

Carolyn said...

Hey Harmony! Congrats! I don't know if I have ever left you a comment before, but I check your blog frequently. I like to keep in touch with great Canadians! Grade 3 will be fun...and Hong Kong, very exciting I am sure! God bless you! Love, Carolyn

Carolyn said...

Congrats Harm! I don't think I've ever left a comment but I check your blog often - I like keeping up with good Canadian people! Grade 3 will be fun and Hong Kong - very exciting! Have a great day!!