Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Tuesday Times

Sigh. Where did the first three weeks of November go?! The days have felt very much "on the go". Here are a few pieces of the life and times of Hong Kong Harm this week...
-I can't get enough of Simon Webbe (thanks, Steve!).
-Tonight I tried to disprove my feeling about Cantonese food, and failed again. I went to a shop down the road, hopeful that maybe I could find a great dish, maybe something that resembled the AMAZING food I found in Hubei (mainland China). The first thing on the menu was "Imitated Dog Meat". That should have been my first clue. After trying to order "mixed vegetables" and having two different dishes that looked too close to the aforementioned meat, I walked home and ate a bagel with cheese....
-Despite my displeasure with the Chinese food, my neighbourhood has awesome Thai and Vietnamese food. SO GOOD.
-One of my favorite fellows in Hong Kong is named Tom. He is one of the security guards in my building. His English is "in progress" and he's about 50 years old. The other day when I walked in, he gave me a great big smile and said, "OH!!! I haven't seen you in AGES!!!" It was pretty cute.
-I splurged and bought a $125 IKEA sofa bed this past weekend. Now I have more space to host my visitors (that could be you!!!)....
-Speaking of visitors, it's only 9 days until the Canadian fellows arrive in Hong Kong!!! I can't wait. It's quite surreal and I'm sure it will feel that way when I pick them up at the airport. Good times ahead- you know the first place we'll eat? Definitely the Imitated Dog Meat Shop. :)
-Last week I spent three days at Gr. 5/6 camp. It was a beautiful spot. Bamboo groves, banana trees and geckos!! Slightly different than good ol' Kenosee (Kenosee's got it beat by far). The meals were as gross as I have ever experienced. Let's just say Ellen and Laura were not in the kitchen. Other than not eating, it was a fun time. My first time counseling 20 Gr. 5 girls. :) I was acting out of my dimension by being the rescuer from all the unwelcomed creepy crawlies...as well as a plugged shower drain that flooded half the cabin. Good times....
-We have parent-teacher interviews on Thursday and Friday. I know it will be good, but I'm a bit anxious.
-Tonight in the gym I met a Hong Kong-born man who went to school at Campbell Collegiate in Regina. Weird.
-Hoofta. I'm tired. I'll sign off here. So long from Hong Kong....

No comments: