Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Hong Kong: Built for Speed.

Each time I fly into the HK airport, I'm reminded of the striking efficiency of this city.  I have to yet to find myself in a city that compares.  Even as you travel from the airport to the city, it's easy to see that this is most definitely a place that thrives on convenience and speed.  I'm sure that even as I step off the plane, people are walking faster!

My favorite part of returning to Hong Kong is watching the visitors go through immigration, while I whip out my nifty residence card, note the many empty stalls calling my name, and slip my card into the slot.  I pass through the first gate, it takes my thumbprint, and bam- I'm back in Hong Kong.  The only glitch in the system is that while you pass through at lightning speed, you still end up waiting for your bags on the other side.  This actually makes the baggage folks appear subpar, but the fact is that they can't catch up with the swift immigration process.

The "Airport Express" train takes you from the airport to the city in 20 minutes flat.  You can actually check in your bags at two different stations in the city, which is pretty neat.  After zipping back to town on the train, you are filed into a line and into a taxi immediately.

These are just a couple examples.  Essentially, this city is built to maximize on time and space.  But no matter how efficient Hong Kong is, no matter how quickly you can get from A to B- it's never fast enough it seems.  People are always speeding ahead.  

I must say I love the efficiency and convenience.  Hong Kong is a very cool city to live in.  It makes Canada's set up seem slow-moving. A Hong Konger might even feel quite inconvenienced by much of the comparative waiting.  Compare it to its neighbors in SE Asia, and it is worlds apart.  But while I love how easy it is to live here, it's harder to slow down when the world around you is zooming, never stopping, always going.  I can't forget it because I can hear its chorus 32 floors beneath me!

It may be fast, but I see the effect it has on people's lives and the culture of Hong Kong. Though I now have many awesome friends here, walking through the city it feels like people are disengaged and disconnected from one another.  So, which would you rather?  Are speed, efficiency and convenience worth the sacrifice?

2 comments:

Pamela said...

I am fascinated by how diverse the world is, how one culture can be so completely different from another. Hong Kong culture sounds to be the complete opposite of Brazilian culture, where waiting in line is the norm and nothing starts on time...unless maybe its a soccer game! I appreciate convenience and punctuality but I don't think I would want to sacrifice peace and quiet and relationships in order to have that. Its amazing how we are affected and changed by the culture in which we live. I am not the same person as I was before I moved to Brazil, I don't quite fit into the Canadian box anymore but neither am I Brazilian. I see it most in my perception of time. I'm interested to see how India will change and shape me.

Miss McMillan said...

Yeah, I can definitely relate to your comments on how culture shapes us! Hopefully it is the good we can pick up on, hey! Now, India...there's not a soul that can get out of that country without changing shape!!! I'm thrilled that you guys are joining my parents, and really looking forward to having you in Hong Kong!!