Tuesday, December 04, 2007

One Long Skate

There is an ache in me that never leaves when I'm away from home, but there are times when it feels more acute. The last couple days have felt that way. It likely has much to do with the arrival of the Christmas season. Though I'm very excited about the adventures Thailand has in store and I will enjoy soaking up the sun and feeding elephants and eating colorful curries, it's not home. I miss my family. I miss, in advance, the family dance nights (yes, we McMillans dance up a storm), Mom's Christmas dinner, Mom's Christmas brunch, holding a new baby nephew, watching the kids I love open their presents, playing guitar with brothers, having great chats with my sisters, going to the McMillan New Year's party, and so on.

My favorite Christmas album, Wintersong by Sarah McLachlan, has been on nonstop for the past week. One of the best songs, River, makes me ache for a good ol' skate. I wonder how long it might take me to skate across the Pacific....

Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on
I wish I had a river so long
Teach my feet to fly high
Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on


I miss Canada. I miss you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harmony,
That is also my FAVORITE song, I have been playing it over and over for days and discovered it last Christmas. You have great taste.

So sorry you won't be home for Christmas and all it's traditions with your family. It's been -42 with the windchill here in YK for way too long, so you'll be soaking up the sun and we'll be freezing off our butts.

Merry Christmas!

Kim (Heather's friend in YK)

Miss McMillan said...

Yes, it seems unimaginable that a Canadian winter could seem appealing when you're living in balmy temperatures of 20-30 degrees. Somehow though...it still is when you've been away for awhile!
Thanks for stopping by, and Merry Christmas to you too!

Anonymous said...

Harmony,
The Slywka backyard rink is now completely functional, with this year's newest additions, a red line and two blue lines! It has been enjoyed several times already, which tells you that our temperatures have been low and we have had snow. Not always fun when you are living in it, but something that I, too, would miss if not here.

It was good to chat with you last weekend. Call again soon. I look forward to hearing your Thailand stories and I will share some York ones with you.

Miss you lots,
Merry, merry Christmas,
Barb

Crystal says hi!! She asked about you the other day.