Friday, April 04, 2008

Ooolsan; Part 2

It's been a week since I returned from Korea. I am overdue to collect some highlights of the trip, because it was a fantastic time!

My time in "Ooolsan" was marked by interesting tours around the city and outside of it, delicious meals, beautiful accommodations and best of all, great visits with my friend Snowy and her family. One of the key themes was that Hyundai is taking over the world. Ulsan is home to the Hyundai Heavy Industries ship building factory. Snowy's Dad is one of the VP's of HHI. Snowy works as an English secretary for a company within HHI. And Snowy's husband is an engineer for the Korean Navy Destroyer ship, which is also within HHI. They drive Hyundais. They shop at the Hyundai Department Store. Snowy went to school at Ulsan University, which was funded by Hyundai. I stayed at the Hyundai Hotel. They call themselves "The Hyundai Family".

I really enjoyed the tour of the HHI ship building factory. It was incredible to see such massive vessels in their various stages of construction. The most fascinating vessel was the one designed for offshoring. It was crazy! The structure was incredibly intricate- it gave me a headache just looking at it. The price tag of that monster is over one billion.

I experienced a variety of Korean foods while in Ulsan. We had stone pots of tofu soup, delicious Korean hotpot (they call it "shabu shabu"...sounds fun, hey?), a bit of sushi (and not more, not such a fan of the raw stuff), and, my personal favorite, Korean bbq "bulgulgi". Oh, it's so tasty!!

It was so good for the heart to see Snowy again. It was even better to meet her family. We spent quite a bit of time reminiscing about her days with us in Canada. They were incredibly generous hosts and I felt so spoiled by their kindness! I'm hoping that I get the chance to play host to them while I am in Hong Kong.

Follow this link for pictures from my weekend in Ulsan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend!

Glad to catch up a little on your blog. I've handed in the last of my papers/projects for this semester and I took a breather before getting back at it this week to prepare for finals. I only have two though, so I'm not worried, the worst is behind me.

Glad to hear that you now have a difficult balance between basketball and tennis. It truly is a rough life. ;)

I loved your classroom blog! You are such a cool teacher...can I come to your class and pretend to be in 5M?! I bet I could do a sweet book report...but I am confident that I can't be as cute as that girl telling the story!

Keep up the great work
Miss McMillan!

Love you friend, TK

Nic said...

happy birthday.