Sunday, April 13, 2008

what I found under the bridge

The past week has had its fill of ups and downs. Looking back on the week, I'm going to try and ride with the highs, learn from the lows, and walk in freedom.

Yesterday I had the chance to help give out rice boxes to street sleepers. I couldn't speak with those we met, but I hope they sensed God's love in me nonetheless. I sensed that the rice box, although helpful, was not the primary need. As my Chinese friends chatted with a beautiful old man living under a bridge, I saw a greater hunger to be loved and wanted than to be fed. He was smart, and funny, too. When he learned that I was a teacher, he called me a "soul engineer". He seemed to soak up the attention and company. I thought of how Christ meets our hunger- the aches in the stomach, and the greater aches in our souls. As we walked away, I hoped that our friend felt less alone in the world.

I felt a similar hope in a number of conversations I shared with friends this week. Simple but powerful is reminding each other that we're not in this alone.

No comments: