Friday, July 07, 2006

Pizza Night and Other Delights of Yellowknife

Here I am in summery Yellowknife, where the sun never goes down. I want to play tennis right now just because I can (it's almost midnight), but everyone else has headed for bed so I'll just have to wait. It is so awesome to be on holidays. Sometimes when I stop and actually think about the fact that I don't have to plan or mark or do whatever, it just makes me squeal inside.
Elijah is a major Yellowknife delight. He is well worth any 24 hour drive. He likes to yell and scream a lot (especially when he eats). I like to yell back at him, then he yells louder and waves his arms like a crazy man. I love it. I am very impressed with his athletic notions. Such as: he's got a wicked left arm, so we're thinking he will probably be the next Big Unit. He's also quite adept with the long broomstick which could be compared to a bat, so he could be a hitting pitcher. Not to mention his stickhandling skills with the mini hockey sticks. We haven't worked on the basketball situation yet- I need to go and find him a basketball net so he can get started- his left hand will be a great benefit there as well. What's that? He hasn't even turned one yet??
Today we went to Cameron Falls and enjoyed a nice hike. It is a great spot in nature. Up here they've got this whole scraggly tree look going on, which if there were only one tree it would be pretty ugly, but altogether, it gives off a fine rugged appeal. Sparkly lakes, icy blue skies, and bugs galore.
Last night was Brianne's wedding shower. It was a great time and I was glad to be there as I'll miss the big party in September. :( Tonight was Pizza Night at the Ashby's, which features delicious pizza and friendly folks in abundance. There are many good friends here in Yellowknife, and I treasure the time to just hang out with my family. It is less than a month until I leave for China. I am very excited about it. But...when time in the homeland is ticking away, I start battling the sad waves. It is a challenging reality to live abroad and leave your family and your friends. My goodbyes for the year have already begun. Ah, it is hard on the heart. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming (Nemo if you're clued out)...but sometimes I am not a very good swimmer!
Anyway, I am very much enjoying the blessings of today this summer- being with friends and family. It is good. And I will post pictures soon!

No comments: