Saturday, August 05, 2006

The City by the Sea

Day 2 in the City by the Sea is winding down with a flavorful peach and lukewarm ice tea. I am in Qingdao (pronounced "ching-doww"), a city of 8.5 million people on the coast of Shandong. Shandong is a province to the southeast of Beijing. It is known primarily for its beer. Seriously- these people are pumped about their beer. It's one of the only English words Rachel's parents have spoken to me thus far, thus suggesting its significance.
However, I would say the best part of Qingdao is its beautiful coastline and backdrop mountain range. Gorgeous! Yesterday Rachel and I walked along the coast, west to east across the city. Qingdao is green, clean and fairly affluent in comparison to the other parts of China I have experienced. I have seen a handful of foreigners and it seems they stare less here, which is a nice plus. Because of its seaside geography, Qingdao's menu is high on the fishy flavours. Mmmm. I am admittedly fearful of most of these creatures. It has been an adventure in fine fishy cuisine thus far, and no doubt it will continue. I refused the long shelled water worms that poke their head in and out (SICK- why would you want to EAT that?), but I did test out the waters in the ones that are covered in shells of all sizes and shapes. So far I am still alive and I don't look like a mermaid, so I'll keep trying to be brave, and try not to disappoint the locals too much. I do enjoy (and I'm not just faking it) the more regular flat looking, shell-less fishies. Tasty.
Today we climbed a mountain with Rachel's dad. Her parents are a lot of fun, despite the significant language barrier. They are kind, generous and quick to laugh.
This evening Rachel and I were spoiled at the Beauty Salon. Ahhhh. Foot massage. Back massage. Hand massage. Head massage. Facial. You get the picture!!!! And now you understand why I'm back in China, right?!! Ha, ha. Come for a visit and I'll share the experience with you!
Tomorrow I'm joining in the wedding celebration for Rachel's cousin. It will be a neat experience. Rachel and I are singing a song- the beloved Chinese pop hit that translates "I Love You Like the Mouse Loves the Rice". :) I'll let you know when our first CD hits the shelves...BAH!
Well, it seems that I hit a bit of a wall come 6pm- though tonight I was able to work hard and make it through the whole beauty salon bit. Anyway, it's now 10pm and I'm ready for bed. I'm not yet feeling "just right" just yet, but I'll get there. More to come on another night.
Good night from the City by the Sea!

No comments: