Thursday, August 17, 2006

Living on the 32nd Floor

Greetings! It is a smoggy morning here in Hong Kong. Sometimes it clears up quite nicely and we've got blue skies, while other times you wish hopefully that you are looking at a storm cloud. The pollution crisis is real in a tangible way here in HK.
I found a place to hang my hat! After some pondering, I have decided on a place that is just down the block from my school- less than a 3 minute walk. It seems there is not a perfect solution to finding housing here. Something has to give- you either live farther away and spend more time on getting places, or you live close and pay a bit extra for the convenience. The place I'm in is very nice and I'm sure I'll never live in such a place in Canada. It is a complex with 7 towers- each with 60 floors I think. As is the case in many apartment complexes here, it is outfitted with many amenities- my favorites include a huge swimming pool, indoor squash court and badminton/basketball court, and work out area. There a lot of teachers around this area too, so I'm glad for that as well.
I ended up finding the apartment through a pink-shirted real estate agent named Sam. Sam is on the strange side, but he's a great bargainer that guy. He negotiated the price down an extra $150 CDN per month, so I'm thankful for Sam! The flat I'm living in is nearly fully furnished, so that is a huge plus. I get the keys for the place tonight, so I'll spend the weekend trying to get things set up. I'm excited, and thankful.
Some of you will know the names "Andy" and "King". They are students from Western that I coached and taught last year. I went out for supper with Andy and his mom this week. It was so fun to meet her. She's so cute!!! Yesterday Andy and I spent most of the day hanging out and later joined King to play some Hong Kong street ball. King informed me of a few things beforehand- 1) they may take off their shirts and they'll be very slippery, 2) they may smoke inbetween games, 3) don't argue if they call a foul, that's just the way it is, and 4) no teamwork is to be expected, so be selfish because that's just the way it is. Sounds like the way we played in China- so the transition was not too difficult. I like being back in the land where I'm almost average height. It's great! The funniest part of the night happened as we were walking along the street. We turned a corner and this old, skinny man jumped in front of me and said in a huge loud voice with a huge smile, "NI HAO, HELLO!!!!!!" And then he grabbed my hands and started dancing on the sidewalk with me. I tried to dance along, but I was slightly taken aback by his enthusiasm! Funny old man!
Anyway, I'd best get moving (get it?!). Next stop, the 32nd Floor!

7 comments:

John, Angie and the kiddos said...

You are linked!!

Tee hee. See if you can figure out which one. . .

It'll be hard though cause I'm so clever.

John

Anonymous said...

Harm! Sounds like you're having a great time! Thanks for all the great updates. Looks like some pretty adventurous food adventures. I never thought about being the tall one over there on the bball court, maybe now I will come? Room for me in the new place?

jerms said...

if you walked up that many flights of stairs everyday, wow.
you would likely be my hero

Jill Slywka said...

hi friend. i'm back in canada. unfortunately, you are not here though. i'm sure that you are livin' it up in hong kong though. i haven't had a chance to keep updated on your blog, but i will catch up soon.

thanks for the special notebook. and for the music too. i was going to go and buy that CD when i got back - but now i don't have to!

we'll have to meet on msn or skype sometime soon. or i could even just phone you if nothing else! it would be great to hear about your adventures, and share with you a few of mine.

okay, this comment is way too long. anyways, hopefully i'll talk to you soon.

jilly

Ray McMillan said...

That 32nd floor stuff is making some of your cautious kin dizzy! Lucky you didn't go for the 57th!

Anonymous said...

ok harm... it't time to let us know what's happening over there, cd

Anonymous said...

Hello? Is anyone there? Did that MAC break down on you already?