Monday, August 14, 2006

Harm is officially IN Hong Kong!

Hello all. Sorry for the delay in updates, but the computer here seems to have disagreements with blogger.
I have arrived! I have been in Hong Kong for almost 4 days now. I'm staying at an older couple's home that have gone back to Canada for the summer. My apartment is on the 48th floor and has a brilliant view of Hong Kong in all of its lit up glory.
It seems there a million things to write but where to start- hmmm. The first day or so was a bit slow and stomach issues are keeping me somewhat at bay, but the last couple days have been pretty fun. I'm trying to figure out how this city works, surely not without making a lot of wrong turns. It seems easy to get mixed up, although the transit system is slick, slick, slick. Yesterday I nearly got squished between the subway doors- yes indeed, there ARE 6400 people per square kilometer. I am not far from what holds the title as the most dense place on the planet. Apparently within the square kilometer belonging to "Mong Kok", there are 160,000 human beings. Thus, we live in apartment buildings that commonly have 50 floors!
Cantonese sounds absolutely goofy. It's a pity that it doesn't share many similarities with Mandarin, although more and more Mandarin is seeping into Hong Kong.
On Saturday I went to "The Peak". As the name suggests, the best view of the city is from the Peak. It's awesome- probably my favorite part of the city. I love being on the Island.
I have spent some time getting to know two of the other new teachers at my school. One is married with a tiny baby and they are from Saskatoon, and the other is a single gal my age from Michigan. They are great!
I have seen my classroom and I'm excited to get started with the planning and such, but before that I need to find somewhere to live permanently. I don't know where that will be just yet- I guess I'm going to look at a few more places on Wednesday. It's a bit of a challenge to find something within the housing allowance close to the school, so I'm going to take a look at some other places a bit farther away. It will be good to settle in, but I still have quite a bit of time so there is no need to rush.
Well, this concludes the end of the first official post of Hong Kong Harm! Time for some dim sum!

3 comments:

John, Angie and the kiddos said...

Sounds like a Claustrophobic's nightmare. Sorry about the stomach. Looking forward to reading more of your exploits.
If they're exciting enough I may just link you. . . Tee hee.

John

TamaLa said...

At last...you are excited to get planning! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad to have time (and a fast internet connection again) to read your updates. Keep 'em coming! Love you and miss you already:)

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it
» »