Thursday, February 08, 2007

Oink, Oink.

Happy Year of the Pig. I was reading people's predictions on the Year of the Pig today. Some say pigs are lazy and fat, therefore it's going to be a bad year for Hong Kong. Others say pigs are lovely, cute and adorable, so it's going to be a squishable and adorably prosperous year for Hong Kong. Pigs have become a normal part of the decor. Yesterday my friend showed me her new kicks- Nikey oldschools with an embroidered pig. These ones are even better- I've got to buy myself a pair of these beauties! Nike is all about embracing cultural tradition, clearly. Starbucks is in on the Chinese New Year festivities, too. The only red packets I'm hoping for this year are the ones that are filled with Starbucks money! Ha ha. (Red packets are little envelopes with money that people give to one another during Chinese New Year)
Speaking of Starbucks, tonight I thought they were secretly filming for Rush Hour 3. Across the table there were two men, with suspicious looking brown manila envelopes. They kept whispering to each other, staring down at the table, trying to convince the mobile to ring. Shifty eyes, very shifty eyes- I was sure they were waiting for Jackie Chan and Chris Rock to jump out and interrupt the big deal. Oh, it was funny. Finally they left, bags and envelopes in hand. Don't worry, you'll see it all when Rush Hour 3 hits theatres- watch for me, the amused Canadian in the backdrop, latte in hand.
I was going home on the bus tonight and the view from the second deck was something else. I'm trying to think of ways to describe the massive ocean of humans filling up one particular street- likely the most crowded street in the city. Okay, let's stick to the Riders. It was like the crowds spilling out after the Labour Day Classic, except instead of green everywhere you see black, and instead of a high percentage of drunk, loud people, everyone is escaping the madness of the human cyclone by either talking on their cel phones or listening to Cantopop in their mp3 player. To be honest, it kind of made me woozy watching all the people tonight! Usually I'm in the thick of it and I zone out with my ipod, but it looked crazy from the bus! In moments like that, I transport myself to Highway 48, driving to Grandma's house. Ahhh, I can breathe again. Freedom!
One day and one week until our Chinese New Year holiday arrives. My buddy Sherri Kasper is on her way to help me ring in the Year of the Pig! Saweeet!
Time for bed! Good night from the land of fat, lazy pigs! No wait, make that cute, adorable pigs. That's better.

2 comments:

TamaLa said...

Please, PLEASE get the pink shoes. You probably can't live without them.
And just for the record, Rachel and I are the year of the pig...so you just KNOW that the new year is going to be an adorbale, squishable, completely prosperous and free of laziness.
:)
OINK.

Miss McMillan said...

Oh friend, wouldn't it be grand to enjoy a couple hours at Starbucks together?! I miss the Gospel House! I was looking at our hot HO-HO-HO pictures the other day, and especially the one when you and I were doubled over laughing straight from the gut- I laughed and laughed all over again. Good times, good times.
Thanks for dropping by, you prosperous piggy you! Intended with great love and affection of course!
Harm