Thursday, December 28, 2006

Live from India

An update from Hong Kong Harm is overdue, now situated in Aizawl, India, Mizoram.
I have been here for four days now. I traveled safely to Kolkata and was hollered at by some foreign guy in the airport. The foreign guy turned out to be my Dad, who successfully surprised me by meeting me in Kolkata. We spent the night in Kolkata and I took in a quick blast of Kolkata craziness (smells, sounds, generally an overload to the senses, however, always intriguing, intense, and in short bouts- enjoyable). All things India were brought from memory to reality again- drooling cows, staring men, garbage galore, rickshaws and Ambassador yellow taxis with all kinds of flashy gods adorning the dash. This is Kolkata!
A one hour flight to Aizawl and a 90 minute taxi ride later, I found myself on Mom and Dad’s doorstep, smack in the middle of the magnificence of Mizoram. Magnificent for one, because it holds the treasure of family, and magnificent for two because of its wonderful scenery. Waking up after the first night reassured me of the wonders of this place. Looking out the window, I gazed upon a stretch of cotton ball clouds sitting in the valley. Mizoram itself is a gift.
Christmas Day was very nice. I am amazed at how my Mom can manage to essentially make everything here that she does at home. A Christmas dinner with all the fixings, including homemade buns and pumpkin pie. Awesome!
Unfortunately I’ve been slowed down by some kind of bug since Christmas night. I’m not sure what it is but I wish that it would tire of me and move along. I am happy to feel hunger at the moment as I haven’t felt that way for a couple days. It’s not a terrible flu or anything, but I know something is not quite as it should be. Anyway, today I did go to town and enjoyed taking in the life of Aizawl. It is fascinating to observe, watching all the busyness and the milling of people around town. Culture is wonderful. I wandered in and out of the many little shops that line the road, ventured down to the market and sat outside a shop to read a book.
Around the house, I’ve spent time with Autumn and her buddies (pics coming soon), as they have been enjoying new skateboards. Andrew is a pyromaniac and spends most of his time blowing things up. Oh, that sounds a bit dramatic. Basically he thoroughly enjoys firecrackers, sparklers and these little spitballs that blast when they touch ground. Nic will enjoy this freedom and share Andrew’s passion for this pastime, I’m sure. I have enjoyed many a hug from both A and A. They are great!
Tonight we are having a birthday supper for Becky (who helps my parents) and my Dad. Tomorrow is his big day! We will have a tea and enjoy the company of many of his friends from around Aizawl. Some of you will smile at the thought of seeing Para and Mawia. I’m excited to see them again tomorrow.
We will go back to Kolkata on Tuesday, stay a night and then fly to Kathmandu, Nepal on Wednesday. I fly back to HK, via Bangkok for a night, on Saturday. The holidays are flying by!
Anyway, this is a lengthy report and I’ll say goodbye for now. Love from India!

3 comments:

benjamin rualthanzauva said...

Is the whole family blogging? I quess your parents stay at Silver Oak School.

If you look up beyond the lengthy compound walls, you would see two cottage type houses like one in this picture.

http://misual.com/2006/12/28/come-over-for-tea/

That is ours. I am not at home myself but I will be there on 31st for New year.

Anonymous said...

Harm,

So good to hear of your safe arrival and your treasured time with your family. I hope the sick bug has vacated and you are able to enjoy all the happenings. Give your dad a giant birthday hug from our family, and while you are at it, give one to your mom, Autumn, Andrew, and yourself too. I don't know if it will be safe to leave Nic and Andrew alone - but they will have fun! Have a wonderful time in Nepal. Will you be running up to the top of Everest???

I recognize your merry christmas card as we enjoyed seeing the China pics the other night courtesy of Jeremy. It was wonderful to see and hear of more of their adventures. Memorable moments!

Your time in India will soon be over. Here is advice that I try to use - Rather than be sad that it is over, rejoice that it happened. I like that.

Take care my friend. That long email will come in 2007.

Love, Barb

TamaLa said...

Glad to hear that you are enjoying time with your family in INDIA! That is so great that you can be with them for a few days.
Life is good in Winnipeg and now in Estevan...but probably not as warm as where you are.
Take care of yourself friend...
Miss you!
Love Tamara