Saturday, March 21, 2009

My friends, the taxi drivers (18/31)

Tonight I had a highly amusing taxi ride home. I wasn't entirely in the mood; feeling a little tired and too lazy to stretch my limited language skills across the 15 minute ride to my place. Too bad; Wing Leung the taxi driver had big dreams for these 15 minutes. Here are some of the words Wing Leung spoke often on our ride: "You! Me! Make friends-ee!! (as he pretends to drink) You teach English-ee to me! You English teacher! Call me!" Repeat. Repeat. So we worked the language a bit- new words in caps- "This is a TRAFFIC JAM. Many CARS!!! I am TIRED! I am hungry (he got that one!). LET'S GO!!"
It was quite the conversation. Maybe I'll call him up for a ride when Steve comes back on his way through and introduce him to Wing Leung.

This happens from time to time with taxi drivers here. Last week a friend and I met taxi driver 007. Yeah, I named him Bond. He loved that, a little too much...and the same ride that I took today with Wing Leung (the one that took 15 minutes), turned into an 8 minute ride with Bond. Plus he sang karaoke. Loudly. "And I....eeeeee...I...will always love yoooooooou". Yes- Whitney Houston by my Cantonese taxi driver who thinks he is now James Bond. What a great ride home.

Driving a car in Canada might seem a little dry after cruising the streets of HK with guys like Wing Leung and Bond at the wheel.

No comments: