Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Punctuation is the Key (3/31)

Today I was having a conversation with a bright and very likable young lad in my class. I was doing my best to convey to him the importance of balancing talking and listening. Actually, I was really asking him to just stop talking so much. :) I saw the wheels spinning. "So, what you're saying is...I need to add punctuation?" Bingo! Edit the run-on sentence! Throw in a comma, a semi-colon, why you could even use a period...a full stop! So there you have it- our new code language for self-control in speech...."use a comma, please!!"

Likely a good reminder for me, too. Run-on sentences are bad news...maybe most of us could use some punctuating help.

"...Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry..."
-James 1:19

1 comment:

TamaLa said...

I can especially use some of this help. more commas. That's a good idea. thanks friend. :)